Tuesday, November 19, 2019

A Scream Queen You Can Hold in Your Hands: Will Turner's Custom Horror Dolls


 
    First off, I should say that, besides watching and writing about horror, one of my big hobbies is making and collecting 1/6 scale figures (that’s 12 inches to the uninitiated , or the size of a classic G.I. Joe or Barbie). It began about 20 years ago, buying military figures and then 1/6 scale Star Wars and then one day I decided to make a custom version of a Clone Trooper and I was hooked on the hobby. So as a hobbyist, I can fully appreciate the time and money that goes into creating something like these dolls.

    A few months ago I ran across some of Will’s dolls on ebay, completely by accident. I bought a few, and was so impressed by the quality that I bought a few more. As a toy aficionado, as well as a fan of horror (especially 80’s horror) I wanted the chance to pick Will’s mind, not only about these outstanding dolls, but on horror movies as well.




First off, tell us what Custom Horror Dolls is and what you do?

I take old Barbie dolls and turn them into various characters from tv shows and movies (mostly horror). I repaint them, re-style their hair, and hand sew their clothing to match the character’s outfit from a specific scene. Each doll is made-to-order and is one of a kind.

 How did you get into this?

I’ve always been a huge horror fan. My sister and I used to act out horror movies with Barbies when we were little. A few years ago I saw some old Barbies in a thrift store and remembered all the fun we had pretending they were horror movie characters and I thought it would be fun to buy them and see if I could actually make them look like the characters.

 On your average doll, how much is handmade from scratch vs. scavenged or re-purposed from other dolls?

It really depends on the doll. There are so many different characters that I’ve made over the years and they are all so different. All the clothing is handmade though. Most accessories have to be handmade as well, either sculpted with clay or made out of some kind of unconventional material.

For any fellow hobbyists out there, tell us what kind of tools and materials you use when making something from scratch?

I sew all the clothing with a needle and thread, but for accessories I use different tools and materials such as a hot glue gun, a Dremel rotary tool, polymer clay, various sculpting tools, and acrylic paints.




"....most people associate dolls with girls and action figures with boys, which is an outdated way of thinking."

 What is the difference between an action figure and a doll?

I think the main difference is that most people associate dolls with girls and action figures with boys, which is an outdated way of thinking. My Custom Horror Dolls are for boys and girls, children and adults.




You obviously have a love for horror films. What was the first horror movie that made an impact on you?

I would have to say A Nightmare on Elm Street. I grew up watching horror movies with my Dad and the Nightmare movies were always our favorite, especially Dream Warriors.

What was the first doll you ever made and what was the first one you ever thought about selling?

The first doll I ever made was Nancy Thompson from Nightmare on Elm Street. I made her for my own personal collection. I bought a brunette Barbie doll and a $1 sewing kit. I used an old white t-shirt I already had to make her iconic pajamas and I taught myself how to sew. I painted a gray streak in her hair and posed her next to a 12 inch Freddy action figure I had and posted the pic on Facebook. That same day I had people asking to buy her.



"The Nightmare on Elm Street films are what got me addicted to horror when I was a kid."

You’ve  devoted a lot of time to the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise. You’ve done dolls of several of the women from that including the awesome Taryn. What is it about that franchise that grabs you?

The Nightmare on Elm Street films are what got me addicted to horror when I was a kid. They are very special to me. I’ve made dolls of most of the women from the franchise, and I plan to do more. Nancy was the first doll I ever made and continues to be my second best seller.




 Which of your dolls is the fan favorite and why do you think that is?

The fan favorite is definitely the Elvira doll. She is the best seller and the one people always want at conventions. I’ve sold over 100 Elvira dolls just this year. I think the reason that doll is so popular is because most people know who Elvira is. Most of the other dolls I make are characters that “normal” people wouldn’t recognize. 

 I can tell that you are a Return of the Living Dead fan. You’ve made dolls of Suicide, Tar Man, Spider and, of course, Trash. Tell us why you love this movie so much.

I am a huge Return of the Living Dead fan. I’ve always loved that movie. It’s just one of those movies that I grew up with. When I started making dolls ROTLD was one of the first movies I thought of doing because there are so many cool looking characters that I was excited to see in doll form.



 Any chance that you’re going to make a Jewel Shepard figure from ROTLD?

I have had a few people request a doll of her and she is on my to-do list.

 My favorite doll that you’ve made is Julie from ROTLD 3? How did you do all of the detail on her face or is it a trade secret?

That may be my favorite doll as well. It’s definitely one of the most detailed ones. It takes longer to do a Julie than any other doll because of all the small details with all the piercings and glass going into her skin. I literally have to puncture her face with a tiny needle and insert tiny jewelry or cut slits in her “skin” to put pieces of plastic that looks like glass. It’s just very time consuming.




 You do a spot on Angela and Suzanne from Night of the Demons. That’s one of my favorite films. What are your thoughts on that movie?

I love Night of the Demons. I watch it, and the sequels, at least once a year.



"Most people think of Jamie Lee Curtis when they hear the words 'Scream Queen', but I always think of Brinke Stevens, Linnea Quigley, and Debbie Rochon. "




Speaking of Linnea Quigley, give us your top 3 Scream Queens and why

Most people think of Jamie Lee Curtis when they hear the words “Scream Queen”, but I always think of Brinke Stevens, Linnea Quigley, and Debbie Rochon.  I’m a huge fan of low budget independent horror movies from the 80’s and 90’s. 

Scream Queens have been a regular part of horror, in some form or fashion, for at least 50 years. Why do you think that they are such an important part of the genre?

Whether they are the final girl, the hero, a victim, or even sometimes the villain, a Scream Queen is someone the female audience can relate to. It’s important to have that kind of female representation in the horror genre, especially when a lot of times women are depicted as just damsels in distress.



 OK, all artists have to face rejection. Is there a doll that you just thought was going to do great but it never caught on?

I made some dolls of a few characters from The Walking Dead because I had requests for them, but they didn’t sell.

What dolls, that you haven’t made, are most requested?

I get a lot of requests for Rocky Horror characters, which I am planning on doing soon.

 I’m just going to throw some ideas out there; Lucy from Francis Ford Coppola’s Dracula, Vampira, Viper from Doomsday, and Linnea Quigley from Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers. Any chance of seeing one of those in the future?

Definitely! Those are some good suggestions. I’ve actually had Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers on my list for a while.



 "Horror movies are usually predictable. It was great being surprised for a change." 

 New or old, what was the last good horror movie you saw and why did you like it?

I haven’t seen many good new horror movies lately, but I liked Hereditary. I went into it not knowing what to expect, so I was surprised with what happened. Horror movies are usually predictable. It was great being surprised for a change.  

If people want to check out more of your work, where can they find it?

Most of my Custom Horror Dolls are featured on my facebook page at: facebook.com/customhorrordolls

and they are available to buy at ebay.com/str/customhorrordolls.































































No comments:

Post a Comment